Fix Soul Calibur IV: Broken Destiny “The game could not be started” error on PSP 5.00 M33
A few days ago I blogged about how I could not get Dissidia: Final Fantasy to run on my Sony PSP slim running 5.00 M33-6 and the steps that I took to fix it.
Today I encountered a similar issue while trying to get Soul Calibur IV: Broken Destiny to run. I got the following error:
The game could not be started. (80020148)
Okay so I went on to find a solution, and among the suggestions were to enable EBOOT.BIN in recovery mode. This is how you do it:
- Go to the recovery menu by turning your PSP off and powering it back up while holding the R-trigger
- Go to Advanced -> Advanced Configuration
- Set the value for Excute BOOT.BIN in UMD / ISO to Enabled
- Exit recovery mode and start the game
There is a better way to get the game to run without having to enable EBOOT.BIN. This involves modifying the untouched European ISO using a Ripkit. This fix was created by Daveweed, so all credit goes to him.
Soul Calibur IV EUR [346 MB cso] Fix & Ripkit By DaveWeed
Tested on PSP Fat FW 5.00m33-6
Ripped : update,boot.bin fixed & renamed to eboot.bin
Extract the ripkit into a folder,Copy your Untouched iso game into same folder,
rename your Untouched iso to original.iso and double click rip.bat
Untouched iso must be 859 GB (900,923,392 bytes)
I have edited the boot.bin and renamed it eboot.bin using the following instructions :
- extract BOOT.BIN from euro game.
- Open extracted BOOT.BIN in hex editor
from 0×00399AF0 to 0×00399B0B
hex with zeros MEMSTICK.IND….MSTK_PRO.IND
at 0×0039A1C9 change text SAVEDATA to PAVEDATA
at 0×0039C095 change text SAVEDATA to PAVEDATA
- rename BOOT.BIN to EBOOT.BIN repack iso. approx 350 MB.
- No need to go to recovery menu.
- Boots on at least 5.00 m33-4 phat no deletion of mem stick files needed.
- Game Saving appears to work ok.
Credits to faceless81